Saturday, April 5, 2014

Freelance Writing And Thoughts About Having So Much Time

I dedicated this week to doing freelance writing full time. I knew it wouldn't be easy, which is why I really took advantage of the waiting time I have for some of my materials for the thesis. I wanted to 'get the groove', you know. Hehe.

So far, I've been able to write 12 articles varying between 500 and 650 words each, and 1 E-book. Yes an e-book! Huwaw! Is legit! Hahah.  I didn't realize it could be soooo hard.

When you're in the industry, the company, your bosses, define your targets. In our case, there were so many external stimulants that keep pushing you to work and drag yourself forward, and you get to push yourself to heights that you never thought was possible. That's how you re-discover yourself. And that's because, well, you HAVE to. You can try to slack off but someone is bound to push you once again.

It's a different story altogether when you have time in your hands. Don't get me wrong, I am given a golden, GOLDEN opportunity to finally learn everything I've ever dreamed of. And to tell the truth? I am having the most interesting time of my life!



I'm under the pressure to make the MOST out of this. To be the most awesome awesome version of myself. And yes I am on my way there. Well yes that's how I'd like to think heehee.

This freelancing thing just got me hitting the Blogger Dashboard and I just want to blab random thoughts about freelance writing and the interesting things you discover when you are given the luxury of time. It isn't as amazing as it looks like but it depends on what side of the fence you're in.

a. First and foremost, how the hell do you force yourself to work for 6 hours straight when your bed is just around the corner saying ooh-la-la? Freelancing requires the kind of discipline that really comes from within, and not just because someone told you so. I can't remember how many times I chanted "delayed gratification, delayed gratification, delayed gratification" in my head over and over and over. And I still fail! Self- motivation is an art that must be mastered, if anyone is to try to do freelancing work.  

This also applies in research. We don't really do all the work at home, but we can do most of our research there. We don't have a time-in and time-out, it's up to us to pace our research and laboratory work, and that's a real luxury! However it can get abused. One of my greatest fears is to find myself suddenly realizing that I won't finish my thesis on time. Must.Not.Happen.

b. Writing is harder than it looks like. Or I guess it just takes a lot of practice. Writing about something you like is easy, writing about something you're totally clueless about is a real pain. BUT I'm loving how I'm learning so many things about a variety of topics ever since I started this. Sometimes though the writing can be a drag. And you feel like you just keep pushing your brain to keep spitting out words until you hit your quota.

c. Writing is like jogging, there's a certain 'groove' you need to catch before you are able to go on for hours. Oftentimes it is brought about by making good research, asking a lot of questions, and being genuinely interested. Suddenly you find yourself hitting your mark in a breeze.

d. If you quit your job because you hate routines, don't think that freelancing (or research for that matter), will free you of it. I think, this is just my humble opinion by the way, that if you have all the time in your hands, it is more crucial to set a routine if you are to maintain your sanity. HAHA.

I have learned now to plan my day before I sleep at night, because I hate the feeling of a day going to waste just because you forgot what it was that you needed to prioritize. Believe me, if you come from a life where your productivity is pushed beyond the maximum, it can be depressing to suddenly have so little to do. Somehow you tend to question your worth and sometimes you start thinking of stupid things that hit the self-esteem no matter how silly it sounds like. The truth is, we can never really run out of things to do, it's only a matter of managing your time and aligning your priorities.

Well at least this is a self-imposed routine. But mind you, anything that is self-imposed is bound to be easier to break, compared to those structured schedules that your company is already giving you. 

There's SO MUCH to learn!!

e. Writing is a busy thing to do! I mean I've been writing the whole week and yet I have not blogged for real! This just took all of my energy and my time that after each set I could no longer even look at my laptop. Seriously. Well I'm also still in the learning curve that's why.

f. Working independently. I was never really the type who couldn't survive eating alone. I'm fine being on my own, sometimes I even enjoy it. But my current setup entails staring at the computer for long hours of research, emailing/ visiting suppliers, and going to other departments for assistance. Plus all of the extra-curricular things I've been working on. You can't really tag along someone when you do all of that. And often, a whole day goes by that you haven't talked to anyone for real. It can get really lonely. And sometimes it can drive you mad heehee! I guess it just needs some getting used to, and things will change when I already spend majority of my time doing laboratory work.

I don't think this is too big of a problem. I'm still happy I have an awesome boyfriend and awesome friends. :)

Aaaaaanyway that's all this is getting too long. Just thought of sharing it. I guess we all have our own paces. Let's just keep making the most out of our current circumstance, and NEVER.STOP.PUSHING!!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)