Friday, February 28, 2014

Why The Guadalupe Bridge Is Pretty Memorable To Me

For the past two years, I would make a mad rush over at the Guadalupe bridge, every 6:30 am to catch our bus shuttle going to the office. It was a love-hate relationship. Some mornings I stroll by it with much gusto. I love the feel of the morning sun in my skin, and somehow, I still get to catch that refreshing chill in the air before it disappears in the EDSA smog. These are the "thank-God-its-a-good-day"-kind of days.

super love the morning sun
 Other times though, like when I wake up 10 minutes late, I'd be running  like my life depended on it and I'd be cursing the damn bridge because it was way too long and the shuttle can't stop in the middle to pick me up. Believe me, nothing could ruin a morning better than being left by the office shuttle. Especially when you were so close.

 
So why am I even talking about it? The past week there have been MMDA repairs on the vicinity of the Guadalupe bridge itself, and I can't help but remember a couple of things that I won't forget about it. Here goes:

  1. Like I said, I think the Guadalupe bridge is one of the beautiful things about EDSA. It crosses over the Pasig River, which is clean now by the way, and sometimes you see a barge full of cargo making it's way through the river.  So you got a river below, an MRT railway above, a sunrise in the background, and if you're lucky, a billboard of Piolo on the side. Picturesque, yes? 

A photo I managed to take during my last morning walk across the bridge (doesn't include piolo though, sorry :P ) 

  1. Guadalupe is basically the billboard capital of EDSA (or maybe even Manila?). It has gigantic billboards on both sides, the left is normally occupied by Kamiseta and the right hand side is usually taken up by Bench. It's quite a view. My favorites are those of Ann Curtis and Lovi Poe.

  1. On to the bad. Right before you reach the Boni Area, the Guadalupe bridge has this section of the road with a huge shallow hole in it, which basically makes it a flood basin whenever it rains. This is just near the side walk, so you can imagine the horrors of walking here and having a speeding car shower you with early morning flood. Spell early-morning-HATRED.  The cars make splashes that can reach your waist  especially when they're being awfully insensitive.

              So you can just imagine what a BUS can do. I remember that morning, a storm has just passed and the wind was still strong. I had my umbrella so I thought maybe the flood won't wet me as much. But as I passed by 'that' hole, I didn't realize that a speeding bus was approaching, and not even the umbrella can stop the "splashing" even as I ran away from it like hell. I was wet from my feet up to my shoulders. Huhuhu.

  1. The first ever attempt to snatch my cellphone happened here too. That was also the first time that I ever took my phone out to text someone while walking across the bridge. I suddenly felt someone tap my back and as I looked behind, the snatcher went in-front of me to grab my phone. Good thing my phone had a rubber cover that had a really nice grip. When he realized that he won't get it, he just hopped away like it was the most normal thing in the world. He was a kid, probably 11 years of age. And everyone else in the bridge didn't care, aside from one guy who said "uy snatcher!". Yeah the world is sad like that. 


I think the road repairs went well and fast. It seemed like blocks of ready-made concrete(or asphalt?) were just assembled on the road to speed up the process. So good job guys! And I sure hope you covered that damned hole. I'll check it one of these days and update. Heehee.

I no longer walk across the Guadalupe bridge these days. It's pretty but it isn't exactly safe. But on good days, it's a refreshing break from the urban hell that is EDSA. I'll always be fond of it. Kapit kapit nalang sa bag. LOL.




6 comments :

  1. Halos 10 months din akong dumaan jan sa Guadalupe Bridge via MRT nung nagwo-work pa ako sa Magallanes. Yup, I do agree ako sa sinabi mo na it's one of the beautiful thing about EDSA. Na-amazed ako dun sa huge metal structure nung tulay and the Pasig river beneath it. Namiss ko na rin yung mga naglalakihang billboards jan, kamusta na kaya sila? ahahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fiel! :D nakuu close kami ng guada bridge at araw araw ko syang tinatahak nung nagttrabaho pako hehehe.. yung mga billboards puro chiks at muscles padin ang laman. haha!

      Delete
  2. Hi Marshee. First, thanks for the visit. Really appreciate it.

    Going forward, I'm from Pateros and same with Fiel I worked at Magallanes. We kinda have the same route pero syempre paakyat ako to take the MRT. I know the ongoing construction as well. What I love about it were the gigantic billboards esp Bench. Hehehe, Totoo, sila Piolo nga ang bida now. Hope they change it soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi june! hehe yap i enjoyed your blog because it has places that i would actually want to eat on.. :D thanks for dropping by too! mas favorite ko yung ilog sa ilalim actually hehe

      Delete
  3. I love the Guadalupe Bridge too. And that little park with palms right across the river. Beautiful scene in the middle of a busy city. I do hope they revive the ferry cruise in Pasig River though. Would be thrilled to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee I live just around that area :D :D as in 1 minute walk. lol. and YES! we've been dying to try the ferry! balitaan kita pag nirevive na nila :D :D thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Drop a comment will you? :)