Saturday, October 19, 2013

Lenovo Edge E130 - My New Buddy!


My 8 year relationship with my trusty 14" Compaq Presario laptop has ended more than a month ago, and I was the saddest when it happened. He's still such a beauty even after all these years.

  This laptop got me through numerous exams and undergrad thesis days.

 
Classic Polished metal surface:) It's really beautiful but this build made it awfully heavy too. :(

I did something stupid and had the battery stuck in its case for more than 5 years, it has since deteriorated and couldn't live without the plug. This is a Core Duo with a measly 50 gb of hard drive space, but it still performed like a pro, and handled all the needs of our first photobooth gig with no hassle. No performance issues at all for all the softwares that I have run on it, except for some display issues, probably a problem with the flex cable. But one sad day it suddenly it wouldn't boot up. 

After the herculean efforts of Papa Ray to dislodge the battery off it's holder, he found out that something near the power button seem to have burned, or got bitten off by ants.

With my graduate thesis so near and all, we had to look for a new laptop that would be able to keep up in terms of performance and be handy enough to carry around. Ray's first thought was to ensure that we had a Lenovo Thinkpad. This line is geared towards high performance laptops, though they're not popular in the Looks department.

After much research, struggling with budget versus performance and portability, we ended up with a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E130.

It runs with an Intel i5 Processor, with 4GB of RAM, and 500gb of storage, all for P30K! Seriously I think it's an awesome deal! We had such a hard time looking for this in Megamall Cyberzone because all the stores were out of stock, and Villman alone offered us to have it ready in their store by the next day.
So thank God we got the unit and here it is :D :D :D


Not baaaaaaaad yes?!




I was apprehensive at the fact that it's only 11.6", and it might look like a toy. But the aluminum frame of the screen give it a solid look, and the case is so sturdy giving it a take-me-seriously-look. Haha. It's also lightweight at 1.54kgs. The size isn't so bad at all, and it feels perfect for me and my small hands and the fact that I tend to work out of the house a lot (school, coffee shops, fastfood). 

lenovo edge e130
lenovo edge e130
I love how I was able to edit my thesis proposal presentation in Jollibee Philcoa while having breakfast. I never would have been able to do that with my old laptop because I'd have to look for a plug. Lol. Plus working dates on coffee shops would be easier now, as you know how small their tables can get sometimes. May be a deal breaker though for people who need to have several excel worksheets open, or for those who do intensive image editing.



Performance? Well it happily handled our photo booth session with zero hiccups. My work on this one involved internet browsing with a lot of tabs, Microsoft Office, and Photoshop, and its working just fine. The battery runs from 5-7 hours with WIFI-on, which is more than enough for me. :)

It is able to play HD movies but the speaker quality isn't as stellar, well there ought to be a compromise somewhere, and the audio is still great with headphones on anyway. It has an LED display so the viewing angles are good enough.



I have to mention that the keyboard is a DELIGHT to type in. It has a springback feel to it that makes typing feel more precise and kinder to the fingers. Sometimes I even open the laptop just so I could type on it hahah!

lenovo edge e130

It also comes with a touchpad and trackpoint, which is a trademark for Lenovo Thinkpads. The touchpad of this one isn't as precise though (I also use a Lenovo L430 in the office and the trackpad of that one is much better), but the Trackpoint is pleasant enough. I'm only recently getting used to the Trackpoint and I agree that it's a genius that is uniquely Lenovo. :)

I named her Deelilah by the way. I know it's a bit weird walang basagan ng trip. Bahaha!
Really, really, happy with this one. My nanay gave this to me as a birthday gift by the way. Getting it geared for a whole year of intensive work, yeah!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a budget-friendly laptop without compromising the performance, as for me, I'm just glad I found a new work buddy! :)













*Disclaimer: all photos by mayolcreations :)

5 comments :

  1. Hi, I'm planning to buy this model too. It's been six months since your post. Is the thinkpad still good? I'm worried about it's quality since lenovo took over this brand. Hope you'll reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for dropping by. I'm using it now as of this writing and I'm still happy with it :D It's very handy and so far it is able to take on all of the softwares that I have installed.There's an occasional lag when too many programs are open, like when i have several powerpoint presentations, firefox, chrome, and photoshop at once. Heheh but i think it's normal.
      my battery is hmmm 5 hours max i think and that's with lots of programs and wifi on. for me it's a really great deal :D :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. How about the build quality of the laptop? Is it good? And does it get too hot when used for 5 hours? Have you tried watching 1080p videos on it? And play graphics-heavy games on it? if so, how was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. build quality is good enough, it's sturdy and doesn't look cheap, thanks to the metal lining. and i'm really loving the keyboard. nope it doesn't get too hot even if i use it all day. oh there was one time when i left it on sleep mode for too long, it did heat up. even other lenovo laptops encounter that, so i see to it that i put it on 'hibernate' when i leave it for long periods.

      yes it can play 1080p videos but the audio isn't super loud and crisp. pretty fine for my purposes because i use headphones anyway. oh but i haven't played video games with it. :)

      Delete

Drop a comment will you? :)