Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Planner Dilemma: Belle de Jour or Moonleaf Planner?

My 2012 was indeed a packed year. And for a packed year, there's nothing like a handy planner to spill your thoughts on and keep you sane. Belle de Jour has been my planner for three years already, in fact i even tried to set at least one day every week so i could browse on the entries of the past week and keep things in check. It worked at the start at least...

Indeed the BDJ planner has done wonders for me. I was able to utilize almost all the sections like the Letter To Self, Vacation Planner, and Bills Tracker. I'm also a fan of their monthly features about topics that are relevant to all ladies. There were also times when I used this as an alternative to my notebook in class. And I just love how I am able to see the plan for my whole week in just one go, and yet still have ample space to write my rambles on. I also like the simple "pep quotes" at the top of every page. Seriously, my BDJ-sessions (30minutes - 1hour devoted to writing on my planner) was able to keep me sane on a lot of hectic periods as I was able to spill out the piled up need-to-do's in my cluttered head. It's an extra pack for the brain and a sort of extension, and for that I will always be thankful for those who came up with this.

my BDJ 2012

My use for coupons wasn't really maximized though and was only limited to SM coupons, Ace Water Spa, and a couple of times for Coffee Bean. I try to caution myself against purchasing items, specially the pricey ones, just to make use of the coupons since it beats the purpose of the discount heheh.



My one and only rant, and a significant one at that, is that it has become just too HEAVY. :-/ I guess this is a trade off for all the packed features, but it has kept me from bringing it everywhere because it tended to hurt my shoulders during long periods of commuting and walking around. When my BDJ is in my bag I could no longer bring my tablet along since it's gonna get really heavy. And because of that, I only bring my planner when I feel like I'll have some quiet time to myself, or if there's some planning that I need to do. I don't get to take it with me on a normal basis, which I think is an essential task of a planner since you never really know when you'll need to jot something down.

As a result, my BDJ was only consistently updated during the first half of the year, and after that it's been promptly set aside in one corner of my bed,  visited only once or twice in a month. :-/

So basically, this is what's prompting me to look around for other options. I'd like to have a planner that I could really tag along the whole year round effortlessly. I'm happy with all the other add on's but I think I need a planner that can consistently accompany me.

Then here comes the Moonleaf Planner (photos from their website ):





It's hardbound, it's thin, the design is minimalist and hip, and it comes in my favorite color: GREEN! :D :D
It was infatuation at first sight ;p . It's still spacious enough for your daily need-to-do's, yet light enough for daily travels. I'm seriously considering getting one for myself since its definitely cheaper than most, for only php295 (compared to BDJ which is php598). I'm yet to see an actual sample of the planner and I intend to do so in a couple of days just to get a feel of it.

However, based on reviews I've read around the net, it seems that this planner is not as feature-packed as the BDJ that I've been used to. The coupons are only limited to Moonleaf products. I love milktea but I'm not exclusively a Moonleaf fan because I honestly think they all taste the same heheh. This is basically trimmed down to your usual appointments lists, and monthly/ daily notes, to achieve a really simple planner that sticks to the basics, and in effect is thinner and more easy to carry around.

The question will have to be between the packed features of BDJ vs. the useability of Moonleaf (not to mention that its design is really, really sexy :p ).

So what do you think? Should I stick to my love affair with Belle de Jour or should I give the Moonleaf Planner a chance? :) 




No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)