Monday, November 26, 2012

Remembering Love Letters :)


Me and Papa Ray celebrated our 14th monthsary last Saturday, Nov 24, and I decided to write him a love letter :D wee! Yep, the old school ballpen-on-yellowpad type of loveletter. Actually when he saw it he said “wow LIHAM! Meron akong LIHAM!” hahaha!

The art of writing love letters has been easily lost in the sea of text messages, chat, email, and FB status messages. It’s just much easier, quicker, and more convenient. In our case we've been very busy for the past months and most expressions of love have been through texting and chatting (well aside from being together almost everyday nyehehe).

Still, a little re-validation and appreciation of love can go a long way. Sometimes our loved ones get way too integrated into our daily routines, and can get lost in the midst of our fast paced lifestyle. If we’re not careful, this might cause us to take for granted the smallest things that make our heart smile.

Just like everything else in life, it’s always nice to pause and appreciate the beauty around you, and the love that you've got. For me, a great way to do this is to actually sit down, take a pen and paper, and write a love letter. 

While I was writing the first few lines, I tended to have this urge of finishing it fast. Like I wish I could just let everything out with one snap of a finger. We all know that typing (whether in cellphones or in keyboards) is much faster than doing the manual cursive, and so it had to take a little getting used to. However, that precisely is the beauty of writing a letter with a pen: the fact that it takes much longer forces you to feel and savor every word uttered. While you watch the lines along the paper, you tend to reflect on how much you mean what you really say. And before you know it, you end up spilling your heart out and enjoying the moment. I think I am much more focused when writing on paper (probably because there’s no alt-tab option to steal my attention away? Hehe ).

Sentence construction also takes the time and effort: “What are the things I want to say? How do I say it?”, and this time, there’s no friendly red line that tells you your spelling is wrong or that your grammar is awful. You do your own checking and well that’s part of the effort.

For me, the simpler is always the better. I love saying I straight to the point. Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t end up with short love letters. In fact they’re actually quite long. Or maybe that’s just because of how wonderful he is. Lol #kesomucho.


Aaaaaaaaand the really fun part was folding the letter afterwards. Hahah! Who among you guys remember the number of ways to fold a letter? I went for the old school way, the type of fold that you really use for snail mails. Here goes:

folding letters
Starting with your letter facing the upright position

folding letters
Take the upper right hand corner and fold it diagonally downwards
folding letters
Fold it again as shown above
folding letters
Take the upper left hand corner and fold downwards
folding letters
Fold it in half... and dont forget the magic line "Smile before you open"! hahaha :D



Writing letters probably isn't for everyone, but i find it a very refreshing way to express myself because that's just me, unplugged. I think its also a very intimate act of love and appreciation. And well all it takes is effort and some time. 

Ray was laughing the whole time because it really felt old school, but well I still had my prize: a tight hug and a kiss. Wee! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)