Sunday, October 21, 2012

Things to Remember during Report-Writing: Note to self#1


Let me make a confession: i have AWFUL MEMORY. I swear. I'm a mess with my stuff. I used to forget logging in and out of the company all the time (only stopped when i finally realized how much money i was losing), i'd leave my eyeglasses everywhere,and no ballpen has ever lasted me for a year of regular use.

I used to blame this on stress and the hectic schedule of being a working student, but my childhood friend since i was 6yrs old quipped:"hindi kaya! Maliliit pa tayo anu ano na nakakalimutan mo!" 0_o

So i dunno, maybe it really is just me. I tend to get easily distracted. Heheh.

The classic victim of my forgetfulness are my reports. Dates, numbers, names, labels... name it, somehow I've forgotten editing it. And these happen alot of times. At first its funny, but eventually it gets annoying (for others, even if they dont tell), and embarassing for me. That was even at the forefront of my boss's concerns about me -attention to detail.

So just the other day, i came up with a list of reminders for me, when working on a report, or any document for that matter. This also has a couple of notes I learned from a recent paper-butchering I had for a research conference at the university. heheh! (Dibale natanggap naman yung research namin for oral presentation :-) )

Just thought of sharing it here just in case someone else finds it useful :-p here goes:


  1. Focus. In as much as it's almost next to impossible to focus on your document/report alone, just try to focus. Note: If you can plug in your headphones, do so. They help to create a personal zone in a noisy workplace.
  2. Be mindful of your spelling and your grammar. This isnt always easy because not everyone is grammar-savy, but asking always helps. And definitely reading. This gives you a 'kutob' instinct on how things are supposed to sound like, heheh.
  3. Keep sentences concise and direct. One" comma" is fine, two is enough to be wary, three is too much. Blogging is waaaaay way different from technical writing.
  4. Tell a story, and a story that 'flows'. No gaps. Note: Ensure that your images are linked to your stories. Images should aid the understanding of the statements.
  5. When all is said and done, do your initial review: From page 1 to the last.
  6. (And MOST important for my case) Leave your report for at least 10-15minutes. As in don't look at it, close the file. Then get back to it afterwards. Review your own work with a fresher mind. You'll be surprised at the small nuances you'll see. :-)


So thats basically it. Presence of mind really is the key,but for people like me who just cant grasp everything all the time, these types of lists really help. :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)