Monday, August 20, 2012

e-Reading or Paper-view? :-)

I did some reviewing just a while ago and was able to use my Thermodynamics textbook for the first time. The moment I opened the pages I couldnt help but smile. I missed having a real book in my hands because I've been stuck with e-books for quite a while. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for e-books. I wouldn't have been able to read full volumes of Harry Potter or Game of Thrones if not for it (nope I'm not exactly grateful for Twilight, haha). Besides, it's really more convenient to have these around instead of bulky paperbacks. I used to think that I'd never like reading off an LCD screen but I realized it just needs some getting used to. Kindle makes a really good job of capturing the paper-feel. I'm using a Samsung Tab though (her name is Deetab :D ) and the 7" version is just right for me. But i use the Kindle app primarily for reading heehee!

Hooooowever... for a booklover, there's romance in opening the pages and taking in the scent of a real book. There's something about underlining your favorite text that 'highlight' won't match. Not to mention the random "aha!" notes you scribble here and there together with your insights, and the nostalgia that comes whenever you reread it. The texture, the scent, the experience... it's all very personal. These are the things that the e-book can't hope to match and I really wish that our next generation of readers would still be able to enjoy these. 

Nevertheless, I've always believed that technology is just there to widen our options. In as much as I would always prefer a real book, I still would like to read from anywhere I wish, and have access to a wide range of content that I don't really see on bookstores/sales. What matters anyway is how we enrich our minds and hearts with what we read. :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)