Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Night with Cynthia Alexander





This was a dream come true for me :) Ever since i was in college i've been dreaming to watch Cynthia Alexander live because i know it would be the ultimate musical experience. Mul19, a subject i had in college, opened my eyes to the beauty of music that flows straight from the heart and soul, and not just right off some billboard hit. Cynthia seldom ventures down south since she's always at  Quezon City, so when i found out that she'll be at 19east, i knew i couldn't let the opportunity go.


Amazing is an understatement. There were 9 people onstage and i think more than 10 instruments. I always love how Cynthia is able to fuse eastern and western musical influences to come up with tracks that are wildly beautiful. While they do not exactly have immediate mainstream appeal, there's something about her songs that make you want more. As much as i have loved her tracks off my music player, I never knew that it would be THIS awesome when seen live. I think I was lucky that she had her full band with her that night. I loved watching this group of musical geniuses as they played to their hearts content. It was spontaneous, it was real, sometimes I felt like those were hearts singing instead of instruments. It was pure eargasm song after song after song  "THIS is what good music is all about" I told myself.

Suddenly I felt like all those pop tunes are so 'mababaw', and all those rock bands are so 'kulang'. wahahah. Humanfolk was there too, another real treat for me because i have their album and i've been wanting to see them and the kinds of instruments they play. *Dear Lord i wish i could play one of those :P*

I heard that this was a part of her send off series, but was appalled to find out that she's leaving the country, for good. :( I kind of felt emotional, like a kid being abandoned by her idol. It's so sad to realize that she seems to have given up on us. However, I guess we just have to be mature individuals and wish the best for her. If it is indeed true that there is a better place for geniuses like her in Seattle, then I'm happy for her. She can't be too far with the internet bringing everyone together these days.

The last song was the most beautiful and made the night all the more surreal. I really felt the love of the people for her and it was so touching. Cynthia may not have had the material support she badly needed, but the kind of love and appreciation that her fans have for her just reaffirms that she's one of the best that OPM has to offer.

Here's a video from that beautiful night:


Much love Cynthia, I look forward to hearing more from you from the other side of the world :)


Comfort in your strangness
Woke up this morning
I was staring at the ceiling
Cracks and roadmaps and highways and landscapes
I have seen
I have been
To places far and deep in my mind
Only to find
Comfort in Your Strangeness
Of moving shadowss
When I call the wind by name
Rushing Firewater in the dark of a cloud
I have seen
I have been
To places far and deep in my mind
Only to find
Comfort in Your Strangeness
We are slaves to the crimes we commit
In fits of passion we shame
We are nothing
We are nothing
We are nothing
We are nothing but
The dust on Your feet
Dying to be born again
Singing Ether Water Fire singing Earth Singing Air
I have seen
I have been
To places far and deep in my mind
Only to find
Comfort in Your Strangeness
I have seen
I have been
To places far and deep in my mind
Only to find
Comfort in Your Strangeness

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)