Saturday, July 27, 2013

Remote Online Journal Access for UP Students >> Thumbs up :)

I went to the College of Engineering Library of UP Diliman today to do research for the 70 journals/ references that we need to read for our thesis. I try to say "70" as casually as I possibly can because seriously, this has been driving me nuts for two weeks now. WHEW. There's three days from the deadline and I am only halfway through the required number so help me Lord.

I've been on Kiji-mode (killjoy) for a week now, I try my best to minimize working overtime and I keep my eyes glued to journals as much as I can. I could go on and on with my rants but the bottomline is being a working student is definitely, definitely not easy. No matter how cool it sounds. BUT daunting tasks like these are worth it when you are interested with your topic. :) And I could use a little more discipline here.

BUT what I'd like to blog about is that I was pleasantly surprised today upon learning that:

1) It's now easier to access academic journals online because the university has their own subscription to online journals, allowing students to download the needed literature for their study, and

2) We can even access them from home! Nice! I think this has been on for a couple of years already, sayang I learned about it only now. I used to think that all academic journals can only be accessed via the University wifi.





Just imagine how much money is saved for all your research! To think that I've even paid for subscription to IEEExplore earlier this year for my needed semiconductor-papers just so I could access them from home.

If you're within campus premises, you can go directly to http://www.sciencedirect.com/ as the access is already IP authenticated. For remote access, you can proceed to the librarian and inquire. For the Engglib I just asked the staff at the Circulation section in the basement, then they'll give you a sort of 'contract' and guideline set that you have to sign. Then they proceed to provide the access by sending instructions to your email.

Other journals include McGraw Hill Access Engineering, Taylor and Francis, and Springerlink.

There are color codes that indicate the subscription details. For Sciencedirect, a green icon indicates that the paper is included in the subscription package and can be downloaded in full. A gray icon means you have to pay for it. Gad I don't know if it's just me getting old but it took me a while to figure out the whole thing. The UP site just got more confusing to navigate. Heheh!


**
I got sooooo much to blog about but I'll save that for next time, I'll take advantage of the peace here in the library to get some real work done. The pressure is buzzing at the back of my head now. :) Ciao!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a comment will you? :)