Saturday, July 12, 2014

Of Work Dates and Coffee

This is one of those random blogposts that I blurt out just because. :)

I really like it when we have these working dates. It's when he needs to work on something and I need to work on something entirely different and we do it together. We just find ourselves a good coffee shop to crash in then spend a whole night minding our own businesses. I think it started back when I was desperately trying to learn the Matlab programming language and he'd stay around to teach me and watch me work my way around it. Eventually he realized he wanted to learn other things too while I sat and studied for exams and problem sets.

On of our earlier working dates at Starbucks Makati, December 2011

So the practice has gone on until now. We tend to learn in different ways: he likes video lectures while I'd rather read e-books and articles. We could never read together because I tend to flip pages too fast heheh!



And we're finding it really productive. Ray has this ability of zoning out when he's focused. So I'm pressured to stay away from distractions too, and to not be a distraction myself (well, I try. Lol!)

If you see us in one of these dates, you'd probably shake your head and go "oh this is what Buzzfeed has warned us about, sharing a table but never really being together because they got their faces stuck on their web pages - awful! " But what you don't see is that random hand squeeze under the table, or the occasional smiles and pecks on the cheek. And the drive to keep going just keeps getting better.

Sometimes we take a break and get silly, then get back to work. And we always end these sessions feeling fulfilled because we feel accomplished. It's great to just sit beside someone special while doing your own thing without really disturbing each other (ummm as much as possible..haha).

Tonight at Coffee Bean Centris

Tonight was one of those nights. He was preparing for an upcoming training while I was reading up on how to improve my writing. It was fun! I still value my 'alone' time but doing these with him also inspires me to focus more and it's not bad at all!

We're also counting CBTL Centris as one of our new favorites, there's a nook there that Ray really likes because it's private and it has a nice view, plus the playlist was dang good! I felt like I was listening to my own player with the likes of Phoenix, Florence and the Machine, and Foster the People playing in the background. T'was awesome. I also have an extra bias for CBTL because my Belle de Jour card entitles us to a free upsize. Heehee!

coffee bean centris


I guess even 'work' can be a bonding activity, when done in the right pacing, and when you allow each other the space to do whatever you both want. It's like growing your own personalities while reassuring each other that you'll just be there. Aaaand coffee is always the best!

Okay I seriously gotta sleep now. Will hopefully blog again soon!

2 comments :

  1. Coffee shops are the next best thing to libraries when it comes to the need to focus for an exam or work. The problem with libraries are its silence. Soon enough you realize that you're already asleep while drooling over the keypads of your laptops.

    The great thing about coffee shops is music. I love writing while there's a background music going on, especially if its really inspiring. And of course, the sweet aroma of coffee.

    For others their best way of expressing love to each other is simply by being present. It might sound strange for others, but the mere presence of a loved one even without doing anything special, or even just sitting together can mean so much to somebody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tumpak! Coffeeshops are the next best thing to libraries because it's peaceful but you're not really pressured to shut up (no librarians to get pissed off lol). I guess this is what makes their coffee cost ridiculously high, as it's not just the drink but also the experience. For some reason I think coffeeshops try to adjust their playlist according the crowd too!

      And yes that's very true. It actually feels more meaningful when you can just keep still and enjoy the silence with someone. :p Hey Mr. Tripster it's an honor to have you here haha! Thanks!

      Delete

Drop a comment will you? :)