Monday, June 10, 2013

A Quick Rediscovery at the Heart of Manila

The past few weeks allowed me to enjoy places in Manila that I seldom ever really set foot on, basically the route of LRT1, which travels along Recto, Carriedo, Espana, Vito Cruz, et cetera. Last year I was in Binondo and Divisoria but didn't get to explore much. The most memories I have there are only during times when we "pass by" the streets on the way to Luneta, or during the time when we went over to Vito Cruz/ La Salle area for our grad pictures and watch UAAP games in Rizal Memorial stadium. I'm a south-kid you see, and my world in the north is only composed of Diliman and Katipunan. Hahah.

Last week we were in Sta. Cruz for the pre-nuptial photoshoot of our dear friends Maybel and LLoydie. Aren't they simply adorable? :D :D Suuuper happy for you guys and I'm excited to wear the bright yellow sunny gown!

pre nup

This weekend, me and Papa Ray found ourselves strolling the streets of Hidalgo, Recto, and Carriedo, looking for members to our new "family of gadgets". Heehee (lemme end it at that for now *wink*). Ray has been here for several times already, and I'm the wide eyed first timer. Trololo. 





I didn't really mind the number of people and the crowded streets, but it was so humid I was sweating like mad geez! But that didn't stop us from snapping a couple of photos. And we're sharing 'em here, all taken by our trusty 5mp samsung wave by the way. :D :D

I found it special because truth is, those busy streets filled with tiangges, electronics, fake diplomas, bargains, toys (for kids and adults lol), and everything else you could think of, is actually the old glorious Manila. Libertad, Carriedo, Espana, Intramuros, and Binondo were THE places to be, and was the hub of all business, leisure, and political activities from the time of the Hispanic occupation up until the Marcos Era, though it did take in alot of damage during World War 2. It was pretty much like how Makati and Quezon City are today. The change in political leadership, and transfer of government office centers in Quezon City triggered the relocation of activity and change in landscape of Manila.

Still, the huge buildings remain a reminder to its old days of reign. I may not exactly be knowledgeable of the history, however it was nice to somehow walk those streets, and deep inside, pay homage to the 'former king'.

I'm not sure if this is still in use, but I was amazed at the vastness of the building of the Bank of the Philippine Islands. For some reason it reminded me of Gringotts Wizarding Bank from Harry Potter Heheh! It has the same familiar architecture as the ones you'd see along Kalaw, near Luneta.

BPI old manila
Bank of the Philippine Islands.

Streets full of people, it's a Sunday so it's not really as crowded.

Waw a Kalesa! I wonder how the horse is able to compete with all those jeepneys, cars and tricycles


We ate at Hongkong Noodles and Dimsum House, it serves classic Chinese cuisine but at very affordable prices and with a wide array of choices.

carriedo hongkong dimsum
You belong!

We also dropped by the monument of Arsenio Lacson, the first elected Mayor of Manila in 1952, and is known to be responsible for Manila's "Golden Age", with campaigns and efforts to revitalize the city. I bet no one in the streets ever really knows him. His monument is a forgotten statue in the middle of a forgotten plaza where a handful of street kids and adults gather around to listen to preaching in exchange for some snacks.
Arsenio Lacson Monument
Right infront of the monument, people are gathered around a white preacher saying praises and distributing food coupons.

I don't really mind the preacher. I mean he's doing better than those politicians sitting in their fancy houses doing nothing for the less fortunate.

Aaaand of course, we could not forget THE Quiapo Church. Not really our first time but we definitely pay our respects. I like this church because it represents the core of the classic Pinoy's Catholic tradition - highly religious, very superstitious, but with definitely a lot of faith.

You can say what you want, but the Quiapo church is simply epic


Ah, I really enjoyed this date. Apart from my aching legs. The visit prompted me to google a couple of things about the old Manila, and I found out that there's actually a group of people who also love to relive the magic of Manila, and conduct tours to help its people feel the same. You can find them here.

And, I also found reaaaally cool photos of the Old Manila, as in genuine photos from the days of our grandma's and grandpa's, and it's in a Flickr set over here. :-D

I guess the great thing about history is that you are able to see things beyond what they seem. And man, what history better to learn than that of your own? Manila may not have the glory it once had, but who knows, hope can never really be lost. Who knows maybe the guy with the orange wristband can do something. It can't be too late. :)


2 comments :

Drop a comment will you? :)